Monday, March 1, 2010

Part 4: Set my people free!


(please click on an image to enlarge)

I've been in a holding pattern with this build. Because of the holidays, vet bills, vacation plans and other expenses - work on this 12-string has had to grind to a halt. But things are now back on track. The neck (from Warmoth), bridge (from Ebay), and the tuners and pickups (Guitarfetish) are on the way. That means that those things need a body to attach to. Which means it was time to bust out the router. Below are some pictures of the process (warts and all).
Normally I would have used a jig saw to rough-cut the shape out of the wood and then use the router to clean it up. But this butternut wood is so easy to work with I just went straight to the router. The only thing that worries me is that the butternut might not be strong enought.
Time will tell.






Had a small slip here. Zigged where I should have zagged. This bump has mostly sanded out already but it pays to take your time and make many passes.
It doesn't look it in the pictures but I made many passes with the router - never digging out more than 1/4 of an inch at a time.


1 comment: